Located in a marine conservation area off the coast of northern Mozambique, the idyllic coral island of &Beyond Vamizi is blessed with a tropical climate and offering immaculate powder-soft beaches that rival those of the Maldives. Vamizi is the perfect escape for families and groups.
Seemingly endless stretches of wild, deserted beaches and crystal clear Indian Ocean waters entice snorkellers and scuba divers alike. Divers can encounter various endangered habitats and wildlife in this western Indian Ocean. It boasts over 180 species of coral and over 400 species of reef fish. This area has neeb deemed one of the healthiest coral reef ecosystems in the world, and the well renowned Neptune’s Arm is one of the ultimate dive sites to explore. The island is also a sanctuary for mangrove forests, one of the most threatened habitats on earth. Activities include walking trails, kayak trips, and community visits can also be arranged.
The villa configuration at Vamizi are as follows:
- Vamizi Tartaruga – 3 ensuite rooms and 2 treehouse rooms; maximum 14 guests.
- Vamizi Casa Marjani – 2 ensuite rooms, 2 children’s room and 1 treehouse room; maximum 12 guests.
- Vamizi Casamina – 3 ensuite rooms, 2 children’s rooms and 1 treehouse room; 8 adults + 4 children (10 adults on request).
- Vamizi Kipila – 4 ensuite rooms and 1 children’s room; maximum 8 adults + 4 children (10 adults on request).
- Vamizi Papilio – 4 ensuite rooms and 2 ensuite treehouse rooms; maximum 16 guests.
- Vamizi Suluwilo – 4 ensuite rooms and 2 children’s room; maximum 8 adults + 4 children (10 adults on request).
What is Special?
Romantic castaway picnics, family friendly villas, traditional dhow sunset cruises, deep-sea fishing and, of course, welcoming the seasonal arrival of baby green turtles as they hatch from protected sites along the island. Nesting season is between December and July, peaking in March and June. Between the months of July and September each year, the Humpback Whales pass by Vamizi island and whale watching is a popular way to see these gentle giants of the ocean up close.
The island is reached private charters from Pemba airport and the flight duration is about 1 hour.